Friday, December 13, 2013

Strange Happenings


I really don't know what is up with my posting today. I had a wonderful post all planned with cookies and crochet, but instead I am caught up in this happening. On the page where I write out the info it shows that my photo is fractured and yet when I check on the preview page it comes through right as rain. Kinda weird, but then this is not the only strange happening today. It gets weirder......I got up and left the dogs out, the usual routine for the morning, and I always glance at the bird feeders.


I like to check on how full they are, I like to see the variety of winter birds feeding. Now you are going to think I am going stark raving mad, I don't blame you cause I was thinking the same thing. I looked and then blinked several times, I glanced away thinking I was surely not seeing clearly, it was some kind of illusion, my eyes playing tricks on me. This feeder was full all but for about 3 inches from the top, and in that top area was a little bird, a chickadee fluttering and jumping against the inside plastic, trying to get out, trapped!!!!! Now how on this earth was that possible, there was bird seed up both sides, the only opening is in the bottom of the inner circle and as the birds feed the seed will continue to come to the bottom opening from gravity pulling it down. There is no way a bird could possibly get inside, let alone be sitting inside in the top, on top of the mound of seed. There are 2 black perches on either side of that inner bottom opening and the cap on the top where you fill it is snapped shut. Somehow that bird got inside at the bottom and lord only knows how it worked it's way to the top of the birdseed inside. I have to think of how it managed, because it reminds me of the grain elevator accidents where people have fallen into the grain silos and like in quicksand they sink down only to suffocate and die. I was in a panic to get it out of there. In my haste I forgot my camera, no one will believe this I was saying, heck I don't think I would believe it either if someone claimed this to have happened. I took the feeder down and opened the filler cap on top. The bird was so confused and still didn't get out. When I laid the feeder on its' side the bird got its wits back and came out and flew away. Maybe now I should never fill it completely full, just in case this happens again. Had the feeder been filled to the top the bird would be dead, buried in the seed. I have no clue how long it was in there but had I left in the dark of morning to go babysit my grandson I would not have found it till the next day. On those days I come home as it is getting dark as well. It surely would not have survived. I just hope it doesn't happen again. If it does, I may have to get rid of this feeder. My object is to keep them alive, not to provide a place that they get trapped and die. My brother Mike is a nature lover, he feeds the birds as well. When I tell him about this he won't believe it.

7 comments:

  1. It was so relieving when I read that finally it flew away. The bird was lucky that you didn't leave early in the morning :-) And I believe you and trust me, I even imagined the whole scene in my mind :-)
    -Ranjitha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, thank goodness you looked out when you did. You saved that poor little ones life, so for that we are all very thankful. Your heart must have been beating out of your chest. Maybe you should always keep a couple of inches of breathing room at the top, I think that was a great idea.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! Strange things can happen that's for sure. I'm just glad for the little bird's sake and yours (so you didn't find it dead) that you found it and were able to set it free. Sometimes things are not safe it seems so best to keep an eye on the feeder. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness Susanne - I'm glad that you were able to save the little birdie. That was really a strange thing to happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a story, Susanne!! I'm so glad you saved the little bird's life. You're a hero! I just told hubby he needs to get some seed and feed the birds. Love your Christmas cactus blooms!

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That poor, dear little critter! How I love the birdies! They are forever getting in my house through a sliding door I leave open for the dogs to go in and out. They get so confused and I have finally learned to close all the blinds and leave only the back door standing wide open. They go for the light and fly out as quickly as they flew in. But I always find a few gifts sticking here and there that they've left for me in their fright! I dare say it was fate that you found that poor baby as you did. I don't like finding dead animals - and I'm sure it was so frightened. Sweet, innocent little beings - God's creatures. Mind you, I don't feel that way toward cock roaches however! LOL LOVED your recent comments on my blog...you sweet thing you! They made me want to pick up the phone and give you a call! The blog change...ugh...feel just as frightened of blogger as you! And my impetus was when I visited someone's page that had a very new layout I'd never seen. I dropped into my dashboard, clicked the down arrow that brings up the categories of "comments", "posts", "stats", etc. and chose "TEMPLATE". The new page that comes up shows you a LIVE ON BLOG view as well as a MOBILE view. Under the LIVE ON BLOG view, I chose the golden/orange colored box called "customize". That selection provides you with choices that are displayed at the right - along with a picture of what the choice looks like. I chose "Dynamic Views". When you are in Dynamic Views on your page (or my page...or anyone's page) there is a charcoal colored bar just above your recent post. That bar has some choices for how your blog displays...they can be seen in the dropdown that shows with a default "classic" title. Before you make any changes to yours, go to my blog, find the charcoal colored bar and look to the left for the word "classic". Click the dropdown and play with the various views. It's kinda cool! I think you can change the default from classic to one of the other choices...I just haven't been able to do it and get it to stick! Ha ha. Blogger has ALWAYS scared me...and I consider myself to be fairly technologically apt. I feel like Blogger has made some changes that make it more user friendly. I used to really want to customize everything and have wallpaper and photos. Not so much anymore. I'm kinda enjoying the plain white backdrop and the simplicity of the display. For today...tomorrow a new spirit could move me! Hugs to you!!!! Annette

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, so I'm pausing here to comment. I stumbled across your blog by first clicking on a link to The Flower Bed blog, and then following the link you posted there to your own blog here. I started reading at the end and am working my way backward to the beginning. I live in Florida now, but I lived in southern Ohio for twelve years...and my fourth grade teacher was named Mrs. Tyree...and I'm a crocheter. So even though we've never met, I feel like we have, if that makes sense (and yes, I know it doesn't. LOL). I just want you to know that your blog is lovely. Your posts are lovely. Your grandson and your daughters are lovely. You are one very lovely person, Susanne, and as I get closer to the beginning of your blog, my heart breaks over and over. You are so strong, so amazing. You are truly an inspiration. I wish I could hug you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
~WRITE IT ON YOUR HEART................
THAT THE ONES YOU LOVE ARE LIFE'S MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS~